As much as we love to go to cocktail bars to have a drink, not many of us realize that being a bartender is difficult. It requires multi-tasking and extensive knowledge of all kinds of drinks. This is why we all need to provide respect for our bartenders. For many, the respect can come in the kind of drink you order. There are a number of cocktails that bartenders really hate to make and we have them below.
- Lemon Drop: This is a drink that combines citrus flavored vodka with lots of sugar. The sugar is the reason most bartenders hate to make this drink. It has a tendency to get on everything and it makes their hands sticky. To top it off, a lemon drop takes time to make, which can be an issue on very busy nights.
- The Manhattan: People love to order this classic drink but bartenders hate it because there are many variations of it. This means that getting it right for a particular costumer can be impossible. Some people like it made with bourbon while others prefer whiskey. If you do order this, make sure to let your bartender know your preference.
- Mojitos: Mojitos are another staple that people love to drink because they are strong while still being sweet. Bartenders do not like making them, however, because they take a long time. They also have a lot of sugar, which can make everything sticky. If you are at a cocktail bar and see a huge crowd waiting for drinks, try to order a drink that takes less time to make.
- Flaming Drinks: There are drinks, like the Flaming Lamborghini, which are made and then set on fire. Bartenders hate making these because of the fire hazard involved. Mixing people who are having drinks with fire is never a good idea, so do not as this when going to a cocktail bar.
- Other Bar’s Specialties: Lots of bars have specialty drinks. This does not mean that all bars can recreate them. Even if you have the recipe, it might still not taste the way you want it to, which frustrates bartenders. If you want another bar’s specialty drink, go to that bar to drink it.
- Birthday Shots: Most drinks that people ask as birthday shots are sugary and require a lot of time to make. To make it even worse, people assume that because it is their birthday they will get a free drink. This is not the case.
Most bartenders agree that although they do not enjoy making these drinks they will do so if you are polite and friendly when speaking with them. It can be a good idea to take into consideration how busy the cocktail bar is before placing an order for a drink that is more difficult to make, and to be sure to tip well once the bartender has made it for you. By being considerate with other customers and with bartenders, you can still enjoy your favorite drinks.