Precision machining is truly one of the most amazing aspects of modern manufacturing. When you take a moment to ponder it, it’s really incredible what people today are able to create. From tiny computers that go in your pocket and answer calls to high-tech cars that require little to no gasoline, the products people are making today are more amazing than ever before in human history. Very little of this would be possible without precision machining. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, it simply refers to the manufacturing of intricate products that are made of metal. Taking a piece of steel and cutting it into a three inch by three inch piece of metal that has a cylinder in it and that must fit into the engine of a car isn’t something you can do with a hammer and a chisel. You must have high-tech machinery for this to even be possible, and it can still be difficult.
This manufacturing process is performed in a precision machine shop, a place where 5 axis machining and wire EDM come together to help people create the most detailed metal objects. If your company needs such products produced to make your products, then you know how important these shops are to your success. Of course, you also know they aren’t all the same and they don’t all produce the same quality products. However, how do you narrow down your choices to choose the right one? Here are five things you should keep in mind.
1. Do they have experience? First, make sure they have the requisite experience that it takes to produce quality products out of exotic metals. The more years they’ve been working in the field the better.
2. Do they have a strong reputation? What do other people think of them in their field? These are two of the questions you truly should be asking yourself.
3. Are they ISO certified? Third, you’ll want to only work with precision machining companies that are ISO certified. It simply certifies that they have a standardized process and that they’re committed to the highest quality work.
4. What types of machines and technologies do they use? These very specific metal objects often require a very specific type of technology or machine to produce them. Thus, you’ll need to make sure that the shop you choose has what you need to make what you need them to make. Wire EDM, for example, is a manufacturing technique that uses two charged ends to create a fierce electrical current. The white hot current in between the two pieces of metal is then used to shave the edges off of metal objects. You can’t make fine metal products without wire EDM.
5. What are their rates? Lastly, you should strongly consider the rates they’re going to charge you for the work. Make sure their prices are competitive with others in the industry, and if they aren’t then at least make sure the quality of their work is better than everyone else’s.
When you consider these five things, it becomes clear that Cutter Innovations is the way to go when it comes to precision machining.