Cobb Salad alla Patricia Wells
- 2-1/2 oz Smoked Bacon- rind removed, cut into matchsticks
- 1 head Iceberg Lettuce- chopped
- 2 Heirloom Tomatoes- cored, peeled, seeded & chopped
- 1 large ripe Avocado- halved, pitted, peeled & cubed
- 4 oz chilled Blue Cheese (Roquefort)- crumbled (1 cup)
- 4 Spring Onions- white part only, trimmed, peeled & thinly sliced
- *** Yogurt and Lemon Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Yogurt
- 2 Tbsps Lemon Juice - freshly squeezed
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Zest & fine Sea Salt
- Top with freshly ground Black Pepper
In a large, dry skillet, brown the bacon over moderate heat until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to several layers of paper towels to absorb the fat. Blot the top of the bacon with several layers of paper towels to absorb any additional fat.
In a large, shallow bowl, combine the bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, and spring onions.
In a jar combine all salad ingredients, cover with the lid and shake well.
Toss the salad with just enough dressing to lightly and evenly coat the ingredients. Season generously with pepper, and serve.
WINE PAIRING: Patricia Wells recommends a smoky- style Alsatian Riesling from the house of Léon Beyer, Trimbach, or Hugel.
We enjoyed this delicious recipe with several crisp style Rieslings like Dr. Loosen Riesling from Germany or with 2008 Graf Hardegg vom Schloss as well.
Recipe by Patricia Wells and Photo by Jeff Kauck