Shrimp in Spicy Broth
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper- seeded & diced
- 1 Onion - chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves - crushed
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tsp Saffron threads- crumbled
- 2 16-oz cans Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 cup Tomato or Vegetable Juice
- ½ cup Albariño wine
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp ground Black Pepper
- 12 oz medium Shrimp- shelled & deveined
- 4 cups chopped Swiss Chard or Spinach
In a 5-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat oil until hot. Add yellow bell pepper and onion; cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, cumin, crushed red pepper and saffron threads; cook 1 minute to release flavors.
Add stewed tomatoes, tomato juice, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in shrimp and Swiss chard; cover and simmer 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp turn opaque, stirring frequently.
To serve, ladle shrimp into serving bowls and crusty bread.
WINE PAIRING: Rías Baixas Albariño
Recipe by Libby Walp of Chicago